Monday, March 31, 2014

Amanuensis Monday - Grandma Hill's Poetry, Week 30


Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mouse!
Please don’t come to my house.
For I don’t think it would be fair
To scare me, ‘till I’d run and jump on a chair.

And every bit of bread and cheese,
I’d put upon my cupboard shelf
You would not even say “Please”
But eat it your own greedy self.

And my Dolly’s nice dresses
I’d put away as her best;
You’d chipple into nasty messes,
And then make your nest.

So, Mickey Mouse, please listen to that
Or I’ll tell my  old spotted cat.
And she’ll spring on you and make you go wee
Then take you home for her kittens to see.

And then to her kittens she’d say
Now wash your faces and look very fine
For on poor Mickey Mouse today
We are going to dine.

Note:  Similar theme as last week - I think she may have been fighting with mice when she wrote these.






Nancy Jane Wiley Hill (1875-1960) was always writing something.  Many of those poems are now in the possession of her granddaughter Shirley Kern.  Shirley, with the help of her sister-in-law Ruth Ormsby, transcribed these poems in 1996 for a Hill-Ormsby-Kern family reunion.  I am going to post many of these poems so that they may be enjoyed by all.

These are copyright 1996 and reprinted with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment