The USO was founded in 1941to lift the spirits of our troops and their families. They provide a lot of different supportive functions for active military, military families, and wounded soldiers. There are 160 locations world wide with over 7 million visits per year.
The St. Louis airport location alone sees 8-10,000 visitors per month. They provide snacks, meals, a sleeping room, cyber cafe and nursery to military travelers.
Some of the support functions performed globally are:
- escorting families of wounded and fallen servicemen to the hospital or final journey
- assist wounded veterans who are transitioning after their recovery
- provide entertainers to deployed servicemen (ie Bob Hope's tour). Last year they had 94 entertainers in 54 tours. Robin Williams was a popular entertainer before his death. Gary Sinise and his Lt. Dan Band is a current favorite
- for young family members, there is a Sesame street touring program
- Deployed servicemen are able to record videos of them reading bedtime stories to their children
The four members of our Colony in attendance enjoyed learning more about the USO.