Monday, August 27, 2018

Military Monday - Letters from Henry part 10

Henry is still somewhere in France - and missing his family.  He is only allowed to write one letter per week and tries to split his letters between his parents and his wife. 

On July 15 he writes:

Dear Parents
You may be wondering why I do  not write more than I do, but I will tell you why.
At the other camp we were allowed 2 letters a week and here only one, so you see that I can’t write to everybody. Some one will have to be disappointed. I will try and write one to the parents, and one to Rosa, then you will have to try and exchange letters.
Got a letter from you and one from Fred and Rosa this evening that is all the mail I have received so far but expect some more tomorrow. Have not received any from Rosa yet.
One of the boys got a letter yesterday with a news paper clipping with a bunch of names, and I see that John was in it for June 24 so by this time he has been at Sherman for three weeks already wonder how he likes to learn a new job this hot weather but there is nothing like getting used to it. What did he do with his auto? Are you running them both if you are, I cant see how you can stand so many auto rides. Was glad to hear that Rose and Eva and families are getting along fine. Don’t forget to let me know how Julis is?
I suppose Lorenz and Clara were home the last week in June, I wish I could have got to see the new son bet he is a real bouncer. You can write a card to all the rest of them and give them my regards for I will not able to write to any of them unless we will be allowed to write more later on.
How are the Parents this summer, is the Rheumatism bothering them so much again. I hope not and Grandmother getting more feeble every week. Give her my best wishes and also to the neighbors. How is Rev. Bunge? Hope he is able to occupy his place on the pulpit again.
It was quite hot today rained this morning in fact it showered every day for nearly a week. In the day time it is quite warm and very cool at night. Daylight here till nearly 10 o’clock at night. I will put a French postal card in this letter if the consors do not throw it out. Just for a souvenier that is about all I can send. You can let Rosa (my wife) read this letter and she should let me know if she got any of her allotment yet.
Best Wishes to All,
Pvt. Henry Steinbrecher
Co. A, 329 Inf.
American E.F.
Lille Sarthe France

He mentions his brother John (my grandfather) who had just left for Camp Sherman.



On August 27, he writes:
Dear Parents & Arthur

How are you enjoying this hot weather for it sure was some hot yesterday or I might say all this week and the sky was as clear as a crystal.
This is a funny country some places it rains nearly every day where I was a week ago we had to wear our slickers nearly all the time and wade through mud shoe top deep. Here I is just the opposite for has not rained while I am here. I am having a vacation now pretty soft is it not to have a vacation in the army but nothing is too good for a soldier.
I will be back with the Company again in a week or two, don’t know where they are at now but will find them somehow. Am anxious to get back with the boys again for I am the only one of our home boys here there are some others here I know, but they are not like old pals.
Are you taking good care of Rosa if you don’t know what else to do you can take the Ford and go joy riding come and see me once in a while for I sure would enjoy a auto ride again.
What have you been doing all this summer taking life easy I suppose by the time this reaches you, you will be going to school again. Be a good pupil and some day you will be thankful for it. I only wish that I would get my mail but may have to wait till I am with the company again. Sure have been traveling some been nearly all over France but this is the best place I have struck yet.
How would you like to see them having two cows yoked to a wagon. I see that every day so if you don’t know what else to do yoke up two of the cows and go for a real ride. With love and Best Wishes to all,
Henry
Pvt. Henry Steinbrecher
Co. B 38th Inf
APO 740
American E.F.


There is a gap of a month before the next letter - possibly some went to Rosa, or they never arrived since he is apparently with a different company by this point.  He has moved from Co A 329th to Co B 38th Infantry.



No comments:

Post a Comment