Monday, October 14, 2013

Amanuensis Monday - Grandma Hill's Poetry, week 6

 
Could my thoughts be painted as pictures on the wall.
Some I'd leave there. Others I'd have there not all
Thoughts of my friends would have a choice place.
Thoughts of my enemies would not the wall grace.
 
Thoughts of those I love would hang over my easy chair
Where I would think them near me, as I rested there.
Thoughts of those I dislike, if they must be painted at all,
Would hang out of my sight, on some very obscure wall.
 
Thoughts of my sorrows, would hang in a room I treasure
Where I might go in and see them at my leisure.
Thoughts of gladness I'd hang in a room I use every day
Where I could see and enjoy them, while at work or at play.
 
Thoughts of my family, I'd hang in the room where I sleep
Where a close feeling of nearness to them I could always keep.
So my thought pictures would be studies and hung where
That in my moments memory, I'd enjoy them as they hung there. 
 
 


 




Nancy Jane Wiley Hill (1875-1960) was always writing something.  Many of those poems are now in the possession of her granddaughter Shirley Kern.  Shirley, with the help of her sister-in-law Ruth Ormsby, transcribed these poems in 1996 for a Hill-Ormsby-Kern family reunion.  I am going to post many of these poems so that they may be enjoyed by all.

These are copyright 1996 and reprinted with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment