We learned a lot about the History of this central Illinois city. Some of the highlights include:
- Peoria lies on Lake Pimiteoui which means "fat lake" because of its abundant wildlife
- The site was originally "discovered" by explorers Marquette and Jolliet in 1673 who claimed it for the French.
- Three forts were built in this area: Fort Crevecour in 1680, Fort Saint Louis in 1691 and Fort Clark in 1813.
- Peoria has been under French, British and American control.
- The area has been in Virginia territory, Northwest territory, Indiana territory and Illinois territory
- There were several skirmishes between Americans and Indians during the War of 1812 in and around the area
- Peoria was incorporated as a town in 1835.