The DuPage Chapter of Daughters of the American Colonists (DAC) recently visited the Big Woods Cemetery in Aurora, Illinois, as part of their yearlong 70th Anniversary Celebration. This is a historic cemetery that had been marked and rededicated by the State DAC. There are several graves in the cemetery dating back to the 1830's, including a Revolutionary War Patriot and his family.
The cemetery was originally part of the Big Woods Church that is adjacent. The Church was established as the Big and Little Woods Church of Christ in 1835, but soon after became the Big Woods Congregational Church. It is one of the oldest churches in DuPage County. The church was quickly involved with the abolitionist movement and was one of the stops on the Underground Railroad. It later became involved with the Women's Christian Temperance Union.