Monday, June 23, 2014

Amanuensis Monday - Grandma Hill's Poetry, Week 42

In addition to poetry, Grandma had several "wise quips".  Here are a few:


  • The only way to double your money, is to fold it and put it in your pocket.
  • Each moment is a future, 'till the present takes it o'r.  Once the present, soon the past, lost to us forevermore.
  • I carry my world in my mind, so if I am careless or cross, or if to new truths, I am blind, my whole world will suffer a loss.
  • A husband is like an egg:  If he is kept in hot water too long, he becomes hard boiled.
  • Some people are born famous and others acquire fame.  While others have fame thrust upon them by circumstances.
  • The people who have no weaknesses are terrible.  There is no way of taking advantage of them.







Nancy Jane Wiley Hill (1875-1960) was always writing something.  Many of those poems are now in the possession of her granddaughter Shirley Kern.  Shirley, with the help of her sister-in-law Ruth Ormsby, transcribed these poems in 1996 for a Hill-Ormsby-Kern family reunion.  I am going to post many of these poems so that they may be enjoyed by all.

These are copyright 1996 and reprinted with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment